The National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) is hosting a webinar on Aug 29 to provide an opportunity for tribal leaders and tribal citizens to offer their feedback on NCAI’s soon-to-be released—American Indian & Alaska Native Genetics Resource Center. The Center provides an online guide for tribal and other Native communities considering genetics research.
This webinar will demonstrate the resources offered in the guide, provide information on how to use the interactive decision tools, and foster a discussion about what tribes are most interested in learning about with regards to genetics research in tribal communities. Community feedback is essential as NCAI moves forward to release the guide in September 2012.
For the past two years, the NCAI Policy Research Center has been developing this web-based resource guide (genetics.ncai.org) with tools for tribal leaders and citizens to assist in making decisions about genetics research. The guide was developed in response to tribal leaders’ requests for more information on genetics research and does not seek to influence tribes either way about whether or not to participate in genetics research.
The guide provides resources, such as:
• Information on the basics of genetics research
• Tools for making decisions about genetics research and regulating genetics research, including interactive decision guides and checklists
• Examples of how tribes are developing policies for engaging with genetics research
• Contact information for Native scientists involved in genetics research
• Information on tribal enrollment and genetics testing
• Templates for developing research agreements and informed consent forms
• Information for researchers seeking to work with tribal communities on genetics research
This project was supported by funding from the National Human Genome Research Institute of the National Institutes of Health.
Tribal Community Review of the NCAI American Indian & Alaska Native Genetics Resource Center
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM EDT
Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Webinar.
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Required: Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer
Required: iPhone®/iPad®/Android™ smartphone or tablet
CCPH Program Assistant