Elders Community Health Worker
Department: Community Services
Closing Date: Aug. 13, 2015
This position acts as an important liaison between the Elders’ Team and SIHB’s clinical healthcare team. The CHW will work closely with SIHB’s information and technology staff to create a patient registry of Elders who are clinic clients. The CHW will also conduct home/hospital visits to ensure patients and families understand their conditions and treatment, and are receiving appropriate care.
- Track contacts with registered clients; proactively conduct follow-up calls to monitor patient status.
- Schedule home visits and assess home environments for proper care and potential risks.
- Conduct basic health screening and identification of health problems (i.e. blood pressure checks) during home visits.
- Keep clinic providers informed of home visit findings.
- Arrange healthcare appointments and other services for patients as needed.
- Follow-up with hospitalized elders regarding post hospitalization instructions, medication education and assist with scheduling follow-up clinic visit with their provider. Discuss cases with SIHB clinic providers for future patient care.
- Deliver medications to home bound patients.
- Provide patient transportation as directed.
- Attend Elders Health Care Team meetings, provide input and keep that Team informed of case load issues and progress.
- Identify and organize Elder Program Activities, which promote social skills and educate elders around health topics.
- Other duties as assigned related to position.
Experience: One year experience working with in a healthcare/social service setting or equivalent education (i.e. MA training, etc). Experience working with AI/AN population preferred. Computer experience required. Familiarity with health and social issues facing American Indians/Alaska Natives.
Knowledge/Skills: Excellent verbal and communication skills, ability to prioritize, organize and manage multiple projects. Possess good judgment, resourcefulness in problem-solving, ability to take and follow through with delegated tasks and assumes accountability. Must be able to work independently. Familiarity with the health and social issues facing American Indians/Alaska Natives and a desire to promote the delivery of appropriate health services to this population.
Special Requirements: Candidate must be able to successfully complete a background check. This position works in the field, does home visits and travels throughout the community, for this reason, a valid Washington State License and dependable, insured vehicle required. Ability to drive SIHB van. Current Food Handler’s permit required.
Human Resources (206) 324-9360 Ext. 1123